TikTok has evolved into one of the most popular social media platforms in the world, with over a billion active global users. The platform’s short, snappy, user-created videos are an effective way to reach a wide demographic — particularly Gen Z — which makes it a valuable platform not only for content creators, but for businesses, marketers, and entrepreneurs.
But sometimes, you might want to download a TikTok video for your own safekeeping — say, to share it with those who haven’t downloaded the app yet or to keep a backup of your own creations. Downloading a TikTok video is pretty easy since the functionality is built right into the app.
How to download a TikTok video to your phone in 3 easy steps
Downloading your favorite video from TikTok is the same for both iPhone and Android phone users. All you need is the TikTok app. Here’s how to do it in only a few simple steps.
- Find the video you want to download. Open the TikTok app and navigate to the video you want to save.
- Choose your download method. To download videos from TikTok within the app, navigate to the Share icon on the bottom right of the screen, which brings you to the Share to app window. Here, you’ll find sharing options like Message (which allows you to share videos via your messaging app), Copy link (which gives you a link to the video that you can share), and Messenger (which lets you share the video directly via Facebook Messenger). In the next row, after Report and Not interested, you’ll find Save video, which you can click to download the TikTok clip. For quicker access, you can skip the share button and just press and hold your finger directly on the screen to bring up a menu with the Save video option.
- Find your saved TikTok. Once you select “save,” TikTok may request permission to access your photo gallery, which you can specify in your phone settings. You can then see your saved videos in your camera roll. The TikTok watermark, including the user handle, stays on the video.
How to download a TikTok video to your desktop
If you want to add a TikTok to a video project you’re working on or if you have limited storage on your phone, you can also save TikTok videos to your computer. Downloading TikTok videos to your desktop also makes it easier to do hands-free activities at a distance, like following cooking tutorials or workout videos.
- Download the TikTok desktop app. Navigate to TikTok in your browser. (We used Google Chrome for this step; for other browsers, this may not work.) In the bottom right corner, you should see a link that says “Get TikTok for desktop.” Click that link and install the app.
- Find the video you want to download. Once the desktop app is open, find the video content you want to save.
- Save your video. Just right click the video and click “Save Video As...” That should bring up a dialog box that allows you to choose the folder where you’d like to download your video.
A word on sharing etiquette
Keep in mind that it isn’t always possible to download a TikTok. The owner can choose to remove the download option on their videos through the app’s safety settings. And while you can technically still screen record a TikTok video on some phones, you aren’t necessarily at liberty to do whatever you want with the content.
If you’re just saving videos to share with family and friends, you likely won’t run into any trouble. But if you’re uploading the content as your own or bringing it to another platform for monetization, the original owner may have grounds to sue for copyright infringement.
Downloading TikToks is a simple way to share them through messaging apps or back up your own content in case it ever disappears. With just a few clicks, you can find and download your favorite videos and keep them accessible offline.
Join millions of creators who already have a head start.
Get free recording and editing tips, and resources delivered to your inbox.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Our lawyers say we have to remind you: by subscribing, you consent to receiving marketing emails. You may unsubscribe at any time