Since we released Studio Sound we’ve seen creators doing some really cool stuff with it. We want to see more. We want it so bad we’re willing to offer prizes. So we’re holding a contest, to see who can show us the most interesting, creative, impressive applications of Studio Sound.
We’ll be picking four winners — one from each of the categories below. Each will get a year of Descript Pro for free. And we’ll feature their Studio Sound clip in our upcoming quarterly release event, streaming live on October 6.
We’ll also choose a single overall winner — the creator whose amazing use of Studio Sound amazes us the most. They’ll receive a Waterpik® Sonic-Fusion® toothbrush and water-flosser — the world’s first water-flossing toothbrush. Because, just like Studio Sound uses a regenerative algorithm to identify speaking voices then enhance them while removing noise, echo and other ambient clutter in a single click, the Waterpik® Sonic-Fusion® uses sonic-toothbrush technology to deliver the benefits of brushing and flossing in a single device.
How to enter
First, decide which one of the following four categories your Studio Sound example falls into:
Classics: Studio Sound applied to your old recordings or historic recordings in the public domain (if they’re not in the public domain, you’ll have to show us that you own them and can give us permission to publish them)
Humor: Something weird. Or dumb. But funny. Make us laugh — you’ll probably win.
Real life: Studio Sound applied in a published podcast, video, or anything.
General Creative: Anything that doesn’t fit neatly into one of the above categories.
Send questions to our Help Center, ask them on social media, or whatever!
If want to know the full, legal terms and conditions for some reason, or if you feel your life has become too interesting and you crave the sweet embrace of boredom, read below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES (“THE RULES”) AND THE DESCRIPT TERMS OF SERVICE.
1. BINDING AGREEMENT: The contestant (“you” or “entrant”) may not participate in the Descript Studio Sound Video Contest (“the Contest”) and are not eligible to receive the prize described in these Rules unless you agree to these Rules and are in compliance with the Descript Terms of Service, as may be applicable, which are incorporated into these Rules. Please carefully read these Rules and Descript Terms of Service prior to entry. Your participation in the Contest means you have reviewed and agree to be bound by these Rules and Descript Terms of Service.
2. PROMOTER: The Contest is promoted by Descript Inc. (“Descript”), with a business address of 385 Grove Street, San Francisco, California, U.S.A. and its employees, officers, directors and agents (“Descript”).
3. ELIGIBILITY: Subject to restrictions herein, the Contest is open to any persons worldwide, who are 18 years of age or older as of the time of entry, except employees of Descript and members of the immediate families (parent, child, sibling and spouse and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and households of each, whether related or not related, are not eligible to participate or win a prize in the Promotion. This Contest is not open to any other individuals restricted by U.S. export control laws or economic sanctions and/or by any other applicable export control laws. Descript reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Contest if it is prohibited in the entrant’s jurisdiction.
4. HOW TO ENTER—NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN: To enter the Contest, (1) Go to the link HERE; (2) Enter your Descript email address, choose a video submission category(ies), which consists of classic/archival, humor, practical/real life, or general creative (“Contest Category”), and share the link to your video submission, which shall include a video without use of Descript Studio Sound and the post-production video after use of Descript Studio Sound. The two videos can be uploaded individually or stitched together as one video. It is recommended, but not required, that the video be between thirty (30) seconds and one (1) minute in length. It must have been edited with Descript Studio Sound. You may enter one Entry per Contest Category, for a maximum of four (4) Entries, but you can only win a maximum of one prize. Each valid video submission is referred to as an “Entry.” Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the Rules or specifications, may be disqualified at the sole discretion of Descript. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the Rules, your Entry may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of Descript. Descript will have no liability related to any Entry not received by it for whatever reason. You may also be asked to provide additional information if you are selected as a winner, such as your name, your photo and mailing address.
5. COMPETITION MATERIAL REQUIREMENTS: Your Entries must be original works, which means the entrant is the original creator of the video submission. Your Entries must have been edited using Descript Studio Sound. Remember, your Entries for the Contest are subject to the Descript Terms of Service. Please read the full Descript Terms of Service, which provides, among other restrictions, that any content you provide to Descript will not violate any other third party right or contain any unlawful material or material that is offensive, discriminatory that promotes hatred or violence. You will be fully responsible for any claims arising from your breach of the Descript Terms of Service. Descript reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entries that do not meet these Rules or the Descript Terms of Service or are otherwise incomplete.
6. COMPETITION SCHEDULE AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS: Entries will be accepted starting on September 7, 2021 at 12:00am, Pacific Standard Time, and ending on September 22, 2021 at 11:59pm, Pacific Standard Time. Winners will be announced on October 6, 2021 at the Descript launch event and winners will separately be notified via email by that date. Winners must promptly respond to the email to claim their prize or Descript reserves the right to offer the prize to the runner-up. Descript is not responsible for emails not received or opened. Each entrant may only win one prize. If an entrant is the winner in two or more Content Categories, Descript, in its sole discretion, will choose which Content Category the entrant wins and choose the runner-up to be the winner in the additional Content Category(ies).
7. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning are dependent on the number of Entries per entrant and the number of entrants in total. A purchase will not increase your odds of winning.
The Descript team reviews the Entries and selects a winner, as provided in these Rules.
All Contest Entries submitted in any of the four contest categories will be evaluated, in relation to the Contest Category theme, and scored based on the following “Criteria”:**
(i) Engagement, creativity, and originality: The most innovative or entertaining video submission, taking into account the use of Descript’s Studio Sound feature;
(ii) Use of Descript Studio Sound feature: the video with most impressive difference between pre and post use of Descript Studio Sound; and
(ii) adherence to these Rules and Descript Terms of Service.
**Entrants understand that there is a certain level of subjectivity involved with voting. Judges’ decisions shall be final and binding.
Tie-breaker: In the event of a tie at any level of judging, the judges, in their discretion, will (i) reevaluate the tied Contest Entries at the tied level according to the Criteria until the tie is broken; or (ii) decide to award each tied entrant a prize.
If a potential winner is disqualified for any reason or unable to accept the prize, Descript reserves the right, in its discretion, to award the prize to another qualified entrant. The winner(s) will be notified via your Descript email address as provided in section 6 above.
9. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: The Prizes for this Contest, including approximate values based on the manufacturer’s’ suggested retail price (MSRP) are as follows:
- Free one (1) year license to Descript Pro ($24.00 per month with a total value of $288.00 USD);
- Opportunity to attend a digital event to meet Descript’s Studio Sound engineer; and
- Contest submission, in whole or in part, will be showcased at Descript’s launch event and included in Descript’s email newsletter.
Prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Descript and are subject to Descript’s Terms of Service. The free one (1) year Descript Pro subscription license will be awarded within a week of announcement of the winners. The Descript Pro license access code needs to be activated and will expire one (1) year after being delivered via email to the winner. The prizes are non-transferable and no cash alternative is available. No prize transfer, substitution or assignment by winners is permitted. If a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable, Descript, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the original prize (or that part of the prize) with an alternative prize to the equal monetary value and/or specification, unless to do so would be prohibited by law. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Descript to use the winner’s name, likeness, image, and performance entry for purposes of advertising, trade, and perpetual use in the Descript products and services without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
10. CHANGES OR ADDITIONS: These Rules are subject to change, and entrants will be notified on the Competition Page of any additional rules or changes to these Rules.
11. TAXES: Awards of prizes to potential winners may be subject to the express requirement that they submit all documentation requested by Descript to permit it to comply with all applicable state, federal and local tax reporting. If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Descript may, in its sole discretion, select an alternate potential winner.
12. GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION: The Governing Law, Arbitration Provision and Venue sections of the Descript Terms of Service apply to this Descript Studio Sound Contest.
13. DISQUALIFICATION: Descript reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Contest if it is prohibited in the entrant’s jurisdiction or, in Descript’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, providing false information, engaging in any unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Descript users or Descript. Descript does not actively monitor any activity on its Service, but if Descript becomes aware of any attempts by any entrant or other third party to influence the results of any Contest by the use of bots, botnets, scripts, apps, plugins, extensions or other means, automated or otherwise, to artificially create accounts, or otherwise to misrepresent the usage relating to the Contest or use of Studio Sound, Descript reserves the right to take action at its discretion including, without limitation, deletion of that user’s account. Any non-compliance with these Rules or Descript Terms of Service may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Contest.
15. PUBLICITY AND LICENSE TO CONTENT: By entering the Contest, entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Contest as reasonably requested by Descript. Entrants agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by Descript. Descript reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the winners on the Descript websites or through other media for publicity purposes. The entrant agrees that Descript may use any content by entrant incorporated in the Contest Entry (“Entrant Content”) for promoting Descript, including in marketing advertisements and by submitting an Entry, you grant Descript, and its affiliates, a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive, sub-licensable license to use the Entrant Content, including without limitation on social media, blog articles, and in other marketing and promotional materials. Except as otherwise provided herein, there is no guarantee that Descript will use, publish or promote the Entrant Content, and Descript may choose to do so in its sole discretion. Descript will not commercially exploit your Entrant Content, i.e., Descript will not sell your Entrant Content for its own profit. Per the Descript Terms of Service, you represent and warrant that any Entrant Content you may submit does not infringe on or misappropriate any third party rights, and is in compliance with all applicable laws.
16. RELEASE: By participating in any Contest, you accept and agree to these Rules and the decisions of Descript, which shall be final and binding in all matters. By participating in any Contest, you agree to release and hold Descript harmless against any and all claims and liability arising, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, out of participation in the Contest or use or redemption of a prize.
17. INCORPORATION OF TERMS OF SERVICE: Entrants warrant that they have read, and their participation is in accordance with, the Descript Terms of Service and these Rules. The Terms of Service, including without limitation, Disclaimer of Warranty; Limitation on Liability; Indemnification; and all other restrictions and terms are expressly incorporated herein. In the event of a conflict between the Terms of Service and Rules, these Rules shall govern.
18. INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER: Descript is not responsible for any malfunction of the Contest website, including any system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, or any other technical malfunction(s).
19. RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, Descript reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Descript further reserves the right to disqualify anyone who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest.
20. WINNER’S LIST: Individuals may request shortlisted names and winners’ names (submitted upon signing up for the Contest) by sending an email request to email@example.com by no later than 30 November 2021.